Jobs and Internships
DIABLO PUBLICATIONS JOBS AND INTERNSHIPS
Would you like to work in a challenging, exciting, fast-paced publishing environment? Diablo Publications is an employee-owned publishing company based in Walnut Creek, California. Started in 1979 as a single magazine title, the company has grown to become a premier publisher of regional magazines, tablet apps and websites for the Bay Area, including Diablo magazine, Napa Sonoma magazine, the Diablo City Book Series, Diablo Weddings, Concierge, Diablo Arts, and more. Diablo Publications' custom publishing arm, DCP, is a recognized leader in custom publishing for clients in the healthcare, higher education, cultural organizations, retail, associations, professional sports, not-for-profit and technology sectors. Diablo Publications offers a competitive benefits package that includes health, dental and life insurance, a 401K program and you can become a part owner in the company (we recently became an employee-owned company!). Diablo Publications is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you do not find a job listing of interest, please submit your resume for future consideration.
Project Manager – Diablo Custom Publishing
DCP is the custom-publishing/content services arm of Diablo Publications, an award-winning regional publisher located in Walnut Creek. DCP produces customer newsletters and magazines, collateral, content and online products for a variety of clients in the fields of education, healthcare, sports and corporate communications. Our clients are located across the country, and include: UC Hastings College of the Law, Oakland Museum of California, East Bay Regional Parks, Ascension Healthcare (St. Louis, MO), the Oakland Athletics and the San Francisco Giants. We pride ourselves in offering challenging work in an environment that is creative and fun. We are searching for a part time Project Manager to oversee various DCP projects.
About the Position:
Project managers ensure that customer needs are being met and exceeded by guiding the activities of project teams (designers, editors, etc.). They monitor the budget, schedule and scope of their assigned projects and maintain a high level of professional contact with customers. This is not a design, editorial or technical position and does not require previous experience in a publishing environment.
You have 2+ years of work experience in a CRM management, marketing or project management position and are looking for your next challenge.
You're a highly motivated and organized person with a knack for managing the details of complex projects.
You’re a quick learner but know what you don’t know — you’re never afraid to ask questions or let others know you might need help.
You earn the trust of your co-workers by making great decisions, being an excellent communicator, and always dotting your “i”s and crossing your “t”s.
You thrive in a team environment where providing a high level of customer service is key to your job performance.
You enjoy a challenge, can juggle multiple projects at one time, and keep a positive attitude despite challenging deadlines.
- 2-3 years experience in a customer-service, marketing or project management position
- Demonstrated success managing projects – experience in a print or online publishing environment is a plus but not necessary
- A keen understanding of and sensibility about customer-service and deadlines
- Acuity with numbers and experience managing budgets
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Sense of Humor
If interested, please submit your resume with cover letter and salary requirements to the Operations Manager.
Digital Services Coordinator:
The Digital Services Coordinator works closely with customers and internal staff to coordinate the flow of material and information for digital projects from project initiation through delivery. Performs review and evaluation throughout process to ensure adherence to schedules, budget and quality standards. Works to provide a level of customer service and client support that exceeds internal and external client expectations and is repeatedly exceeded by continuous improvement. Develops and maintains corporate expertise in digital products and platforms to provide support and recommendations for development and support of corporate digital product offerings.
- The ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects under stressful conditions.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Capacity to motivate and inspire others to meet deadlines and follow procedures and policies.
- The means to evaluate situations accurately and to process viable solutions that create successful outcomes for all project team members.
- Be an inquisitive self-starter with a passion for learning all things digital.
- College graduate. English degree and experience in a digital environment is helpful.
- Computer experience with working knowledge of basic office software programs.
- Computer experience with page layout and image manipulation software as well as Gtxcel, Wordpress or other website platform is preferred.
- Ability to evaluate assets for resolution, size and quality standards.
If interested, please send your resume to the Operations Manager.
Sales Account Executive
Are you passionate about the print and digital advertising and helping top advertisers find their audience and grow their brand? Diablo magazine is searching for an account executive to sell solutions to small, medium and large-sized businesses throughout the region. Responsibilities include selling print, digital ads, email, social media, events and other solutions from our extensive portfolio. Now is your opportunity to join an award-winning media company and a culture that celebrates achievement and diversity.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills:
- A minimum of 1 year of sales experience, including prospecting, face-to-face meetings and negotiations.
- Media sales experience is preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Ability to develop marketing strategies for a wide variety of businesses.
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams to achieve successful sales results.
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast paced, professional working environment.
If interested, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Event Photographer, Diablo magazine
Diablo magazine seeks sharp-eyed photographers to take pictures at East Bay fundraisers. Located in Walnut Creek, Diablo showcases various events around the East Bay in its glossy, monthly magazine. The party photographers are responsible for taking dozens of lively shots, and getting the names of everyone in each picture. We will interview potential photographers. A portfolio is a plus. Click here to send resume
Marketing & Events Associate
Assist the sales team in meeting their individual and group goals, including managing various media kits, creating sell sheets, sending email broadcasts, and assisting with promotions. Coordinate event planning details for corporate signature events, custom client events, and community events. Responsible for project managing corporate sponsorships. Facilitates intern program management.
Experience and Skill Set:
College graduate, some marketing or communications studies preferred. Previous marketing work experience not required, but helpful. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Working knowledge of Mircosoft Office required. Experience with Eventbrite, Constant Contact, MailChimp, and HTML preferred.
Interested applicants please send your resume and cover letter to our Marketing Director.
Editorial Intern, Diablo magazine
Diablo magazine is seeking editorial interns to help editors with producing the award-winning lifestyle publication.
Interns work in our Walnut Creek office under the supervision of the managing editor and associate editor. They are responsible for fact checking stories that appear in the magazine, and they spend much of their time contacting sources or doing research online. Interns also help manage our social media accounts and community calendar. They will also be given opportunities to write stories for Diablo and Napa Sonoma magazines.
Diablo's interns are typically current undergraduate or graduate students with a background in journalism or English and strong writing skills. East Bay residence or familiarity is a big plus. Interns are expected to work at least 8 hours per week for three to six months but we will match the course credit requirements of their academic institution and provide detailed feedback evaluations of their work at the end of their internship.
- stellar research skills
- excellent communication skills
- strong attention to detail
- very comfortable speaking on the phone and interviewing
- ability to meet short- and long-term deadlines regularly
- good writing skills
- creativity for story generating ideas
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
To apply, please send the following materials to Lauren Bonney at email@example.com:
- a one-page résumé noting your previous internship and work experience
- a one-page cover letter explaining your connection to the East Bay and why you would like to work at Diablo
- two to three writing samples (papers from English or other humanities classes and links to online journalistic writing clips preferred)
- two professional references
Marketing and Events Intern, Diablo magazine
Learn about event coordination, marketing, and print and digital advertising in the exciting world of magazine publishing. Familiarity with the San Francisco East Bay is a plus, but we also welcome anyone excited to learn about our fantastic region. Preferred background: Solid research and analytical skills, detail-oriented, working knowledge of Adobe InDesign and Microsoft Excel.
- Fall 2017 commitment – approximately 3 to 6 months – 10-15 hours per week within the confines of your academic schedule
- Interested in event planning, public relations, communications, social media, and email marketing
- Great grammar and spelling
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Adobe InDesign a plus
- Excellent writer and/or editor
- A natural curiosity and a willingness to learn
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to: Marketing Director Diablo Publications, 2520 Camino Diablo, Walnut Creek, CA 94597. Fax: (925) 943-1045.
For information about job opportunities at our sister company, DCP, click here.