Jobs and Internships
DIABLO PUBLICATIONS JOBS AND INTERNSHIPS
Would you like to work in a challenging, exciting, fast-paced publishing environment? Diablo Publications is an employee-owned publishing company based in Walnut Creek, California. Started in 1979 as a single magazine title, the company has grown to become a premier publisher of regional magazines, tablet apps and websites for the Bay Area, including Diablo magazine, Napa Sonoma magazine, the Diablo City Book Series, Diablo Weddings, Concierge, Diablo Arts, and more. Diablo Publications' custom publishing arm, DCP, is a recognized leader in custom publishing for clients in the healthcare, higher education, cultural organizations, retail, associations, professional sports, not-for-profit and technology sectors. Diablo Publications offers a competitive benefits package that includes health, dental and life insurance, a 401K program and you can become a part owner in the company (we recently became an employee-owned company!). Diablo Publications is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you do not find a job listing of interest, please submit your resume for future consideration.
Project Manager, DCP
Diablo Publications is searching for a Project Manager to manage projects for our custom-publishing division – Diablo Custom Publishing (DCP).
You're a highly motivated and organized person who enjoys managing the details of projects. You work well in a team environment and like to be the “go to” person for making things happen. You have recent first-hand experience providing great customer service and making successful customer-service-related decision…if there’s anything you can’t stand it’s bad customer service.
You have a proactive work style and like to plan — but when even the best-laid plans go wrong, you’re able to calmly gather your resources and develop a solution that works for both the client and the company. You’re a quick learner but know what you don’t know — you’re never afraid to ask questions or let others know you might need help. You earn the trust of your co-workers by making great decisions, being an excellent communicator, and always dotting your “i”s and crossing your “t”s. You like to be challenged — multiple projects at one time, tight deadlines and putting out fires add up to just another fun day in the office.
Even if you’ve never worked in publishing, or as a project manger, you are passionate about the opportunity to work in a creative environment and can demonstrate through your past work and personal experiences that you possess the characteristics that make project managers successful at Diablo Publications.
About the Position:
At Diablo Publications, Project Managers are communicators and leaders — they guide the activities of project teams of designers and editors using sound decision-making to ensure that customer needs are being met and exceeded at every step in the project. Project Managers monitor the schedule, scope, and budget of their assigned projects and are responsible for ensuring timely on-budget delivery of projects. The Project Manager is the main point of contact for our clients for day-to-day project activities — they play an important role in the coordination of proof reviews, and ensuring the accurate execution of client-requested changes. Project Managers also work directly with our manufacturing vendors and are responsible for ensuring their performance meets our standards, and that their services are accurately invoiced. Project Managers reconcile project costs at the completion of the project and ensure timely billing of our clients — Project Managers must be very comfortable working with numbers and budgets.
This position requires a heightened sensibility about customer service, excellent communication skills and the ability to work well with diverse personalities.
This is not an editorial, design or technical position.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Primary customer contact for day-to-day project activities
• Develop, monitor and maintain project schedules
• Monitor project budgets
• Lead team project meetings
• Coordinate and track status of project assets
• Ensure project status and relevant project developments are communicated to the project team and client
• Coordinate client proof reviews and ensure accurate execution of client-requested changes
• Coordinate vendor services (printing, mail list, web programming, etc.) and audit invoices to ensure compliance with negotiated pricing
• Reconcile project costs at close of project and timely billing of clients
To apply for this position, please submit your resume with cover letter and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sales Account Executive
Are you passionate about the print and digital advertising and helping top advertisers find their audience and grow their brand? Diablo magazine is searching for an account executive to sell solutions to small, medium and large-sized businesses throughout the region. Responsibilities include selling print, digital ads, email, social media, events and other solutions from our extensive portfolio. Now is your opportunity to join an award-winning media company and a culture that celebrates achievement and diversity.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills:
- A minimum of 1 year of sales experience, including prospecting, face-to-face meetings and negotiations.
- Media sales experience is preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Ability to develop marketing strategies for a wide variety of businesses.
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams to achieve successful sales results.
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast paced, professional working environment.
If interested, please send your resume to email@example.com
Event Photographer, Diablo magazine
Diablo magazine seeks sharp-eyed photographers to take pictures at East Bay fundraisers. Located in Walnut Creek, Diablo showcases various events around the East Bay in its glossy, monthly magazine. The party photographers are responsible for taking dozens of lively shots, and getting the names of everyone in each picture. We will interview potential photographers. A portfolio is a plus. Click here to send resume
Editorial Intern, Diablo magazine
Diablo magazine is seeking editorial interns to help editors with producing the award-winning lifestyle publication.
Interns work in our Walnut Creek office under the supervision of the associate editor and the assistant editor. They are responsible for fact checking stories that appear in the magazine, and they spend much of their time contacting sources or doing research online. Interns also help manage our social media accounts and community calendar. They may even be given opportunities to write stories for Diablo and Napa Sonoma magazines.
Diablo's interns are typically current undergraduate or graduate students with a background in journalism or English and strong writing skills. East Bay residence and familiarity is a big plus. Interns are expected to work 8 hours per week for three to six months.
- stellar research skills
- excellent communication skills
- strong attention to detail
- very comfortable speaking on the phone
- ability to meet short- and long-term deadlines regularly
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, but to be considered for the Fall editorial internship, please submit your application by September 1, 2017.
To apply, please send the following materials to Lauren Bonney at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- a one-page résumé
- a one-page cover letter explaining:
- your connection to the East Bay
- why you would like to work at Diablo
- your previous internship and work experience
- two to three writing samples (papers from English or other humanities classes and links to online journalistic writing clips preferred)
- two professional references
Marketing and Events Intern, Diablo magazine
Learn about event coordination, marketing, and print and digital advertising in the exciting world of magazine publishing. Familiarity with the San Francisco East Bay is a plus, but we also welcome anyone excited to learn about our fantastic region. Preferred background: Solid research and analytical skills, detail-oriented, working knowledge of Adobe InDesign and Microsoft Excel.
- Fall 2017 commitment – approximately 3 to 6 months – 10-15 hours per week within the confines of your academic schedule
- Interested in event planning, public relations, communications, social media, and email marketing
- Great grammar and spelling
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Adobe InDesign a plus
- Excellent writer and/or editor
- A natural curiosity and a willingness to learn
To apply, please send/e-mail your resume and cover letter to: Jessica Shea Diablo Publications, 2520 Camino Diablo, Walnut Creek, CA 94597. Fax: (925) 943-1045.
For information about job opportunities at our sister company, DCP, click here.