Families drawn to the natural beauty, outdoor adventures that define an escape to Sunriver, Oregon
For decades, the Central Oregon resort community of Sunriver has been the Oregon vacation hotspot for families: a tucked-away, but easy-to-access destination where generations of families retreat to unplug and to truly experience the outdoors. In the process, they create the kind of adventure-inspired memories that remain for a lifetime.
Located on the east side of the Cascade Mountain range in Oregon’s high desert and on the flanks of the wild and scenic Deschutes River, Sunriver features a mix of high desert, meadow, and forested terrain spread out over 3,300 family-friendly acres just 15 minutes south of the community of Bend.
Once you experience Sunriver for yourself, it’s easy to understand why families return to play here year after year. It’s the much desired but rare combination of adventure and relaxation, distinguished and casual, with countless outdoor opportunities that entice explorers both young and old.
Today, Sunriver is all grown up -- with a revamped retail Village featuring sophisticated eateries and one-of-a-kind shops -- while still maintaining the nostalgia, charm and natural beauty that have drawn families for generations.
A visit to Sunriver might include any or all of the following family-friendly adventures, and is limited only by the imagination.
- Prowl through the woods, track a porcupine, touch a reptile and other hands-on activities at the Sunriver Nature Center, or stargaze at the Oregon Observatory
- Ride bikes alongside the Deschutes River or among the pine trees on 35 miles of paved community bike paths
- Enjoy a leisurely float down the Deschutes River in a canoe, kayak, or raft, or atop a stand-up paddle board
- Explore the trails on a guided horseback ride
- Cool off in the SHARC aquatic center, which features outdoor and indoor pools, a lazy river, two water slides, adult hot tub, tot splash and play areas, and numerous other outdoor games and amenities
- Tee off at the family-friendly Caldera Links golf course, or at any of the three other 18-hole courses in Sunriver including Crosswater, which ranks as one of America’s Top 100 Golf Courses
- Soar above the region with a glider ride from Sunriver Soaring
- Explore the Village at Sunriver, with tax-free shopping at more than 30 one-of-a-kind shops, restaurants, services, and activities
- Relax and recharge with a luxurious spa treatment from Sage Springs Spa
Sunriver’s convenient location serves as the ideal base-camp for visitors looking to explore all that Bend and Central Oregon have to offer – including a world-class craft beer scene, hundreds of miles of biking and hiking trails, and more than two dozen golf courses. What’s more, the destination is the perfect jumping off point to explore three of The Seven Wonders of Oregon, including Crater Lake National Park, Smith Rock State Park and the Painted Hills.
Sunriver offers lodging choices ranging from four-star resort-style suites at Sunriver Lodge, to fully equipped and luxurious vacation homes that can accommodate everything from a romantic getaway for mom and dad, to a multi-family or multi-generation retreat.
With daily direct flights from San Francisco, you can be on the trail or on the river in sunny Central Oregon in less than a half day door-to-door. Or fly directly into the Sunriver Airport, which can accommodate private and charter aircraft of all sizes.
Whether your travel party includes your spouse, your family, a group of friends, or all of the above, there are adventures waiting to be discovered and memories ready to be made in Central Oregon’s Sunriver. For more information or to book your Sunriver vacation, go to visitsunriveroregon.com.