Top Ten Ways to Have Fun and do Science this Summer
Stumped on ideas for summer fun with the kids? Afraid they will be glued to the television set the next couple of months? Toss those tremors aside with these 10 great adventures at the Lawrence Hall of Science.
Photos courtesy of 2014 The Lawrence Hall of Science, the Regents of the University of California
1. Be a weather wiz! Stop by the Weather Exhibit, which will be open all summer, to check out breathtaking views of the Bay. Learn more about the weather through satellite imagery at Science On a Sphere—an exhibit featuring an animated sphere that provides images of our planet’s many environmental processes.
2. Get out and explore the great outdoors at the Force’s Exhibit while observing how the Bay has transformed over 10,000 years. Every day from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
3. Channel your inner detective and go on a bug hunt! With a magnifying glass, net, journal, and viewer, your kids will have a blast scoping out the butterfly garden and lawn for these little critters. All summer from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
4. Head over to the Berkeley or Oakland Public Library and grab a "Check Out Science" kit filled with fun activities for the whole family! Kits available at the Main, North, and West branches of the Berkeley Library and Main branch of the Oakland Library. Hours vary at each location.
5. Strap on those thinking caps and become an inventor at the Ingenuity Studio. Work with UC Berkeley students, interns, and staff to create cardboard arcades, water-powered machines, and more. Every day from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
6. Visit the Hall’s 24/7 Science website for more hands-on activities.
7. Participate in boat racing and ice cream making and meet professional scientists at a Summer Fun Day. Wednesdays in July from noon to 2 p.m.
8. Become a Hall Member. Connect with other science enthusiasts and gain access to unlimited visits, discounts, and more. On July 12, members can come to story time with award-winning storyteller, Tim Ereneta.
9. Get up close and personal with rabbits, snakes, lizards and more while exploring animal adaptations in the Animal Discovery Room. Open daily from 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. until Labor Day weekend.
10. Age is just a number! Accompany your kindergartener (or younger) to KidsLab for a Young Explorers Experience and help spark creativity. Your kids can play with magnets and building blocks and explore gravity in the Hall’s various exhibits.
For information on hours and cost, visit http://www.lawrencehallofscience.org/visit/hours_cost_location