Star of the Scissors

Courtesy of Clark Russell

The premise of Split Ends, the Style Network’s reality show, is simple. Take two hairstylists from polar-opposite backgrounds, have them switch places for three days, and film the results.

That script didn’t deviate when Clark Russell, owner of Walnut Creek’s Clark Russell Salon, agreed to be on the show in September. Accustomed to a clientele of upscale Contra Costa socialites, Russell suddenly found himself at the New Millennium, an all-male sports-themed barbershop located in a gritty Los Angeles neighborhood.

The culture clash should make for some awkward—and amusing—reality TV, according to Russell, who says the experience gave him a newfound respect for the skills required to wield barber’s clippers.

“Who knows, I might open up the Clark Russell barbering school,” he jokes. “We’ll see how the ratings go.”

Clark Russell appears on Split Ends on January 24 at 8 p.m. on the Style Network.

Reader Comments:
Dec 20, 2008 07:47 pm
 Posted by  Anonymous

It's a true find to have Clark Russell cut my hair. A good hair cut creates my image, as a financial conultant;stylish and yet conservative. I do get more noticed, after Clark Russell became my hair stylist. Clark is very talented in creating the utimate look and responding to our request of our preferences.
Betty from Walnut Creek :-)

Dec 21, 2008 11:00 am
 Posted by  Anonymous

Clark and Shayla are the best! I trust them to make me look fabulous and they never disappoint. I can't wait to see the show!
Sheryl

Dec 27, 2008 07:32 pm
 Posted by  Anonymous

I have been a client of Clark's for about ten years now, and my look has been reinvented again and again over the years. I have seen him do some of the most incredible make-overs, and it is always a fun experience in the salon. I can't wait to see him and his team on the show, they are full of character and life and I can only imagine how hilarious the show is going to be.

Jan 5, 2009 11:09 pm
 Posted by  Rose

I'm am so thrilled to see my stylist in your magazine. He really deserves to be recognized for his achievements in the beauty industry. I love how I feel and look after i leave the Clark Russell Salon. Clark is a hidden jewel. I encourge you all to visit Clark at his salon, you will be glad you did!
Rose

Jan 22, 2009 10:40 am
 Posted by  Anonymous

I have been a client of Shayla's for a little while. She used to be an assistant under Clark and is now working on her own. Her work is amazing and and a great price that anyone can fit in even on a strict budget. She picked up a lot of Clarks techniques and she makes my hair beautiful and is great for a laugh. I have seen Clark and the other gal (laurie I think) work and they are really good too, I can see where Shayla got her skills from. I can't wait to see them on the show.

-Bianca

Jan 22, 2009 12:04 pm
 Posted by  Anonymous

Lori is my hair genius! I have been going to Lori for at least 8 or 9 years. It was an amazing difference when Clark took over the shop she has been working at. The atmosphere is so much nicer now, it's like visiting a little country resort. I love to come in because not only do I get a great hairstyle and color every time, I also get a great conversation. For those of you who really like lively adult conversation, come in after 6 for sure. I wouldn't bring the kids though.

-Annabelle Marcy

Jan 22, 2009 06:52 pm
 Posted by  Artist Rising

As a New Yorker who loves California and has made it home these past 5 years, I found I missed my East Coast Stylist and had not found anyone I wanted to take a chance with cutting and coloring my very delicate hair. I took to the web in search of a stylist who could look past the long overdue grown in haircut. let grow. Unsure where I was headed with my hair, after such a long time, I just let it grow, not for any reason other of not knowing where to go and being afraid the stylist might not see "ME" under the now badly in need of style HairDo I was trapped under.
I found Clark Russel's web site. I liked what I saw, and made an appointment for a consultation about a cut and color.
I arrived early, in hopes of watching him work, before I actually sat in his chair, planning,if I didn't like what I saw on leaving.
By the time Clark had completed his clients haircut and style, I was very excited about climbing into the chair, and putting my cut and color in his capable hands and Artists Eye. He transformed Me !! I was so happy with the cut, and the fabulous color, the conditioner he called cavier for the hair, and the color products he uses, left my hair , soft and shiny, swinging, awesome!!

PS
He is such a warm and generous person, he made me feel beautiful and appreciated.
I love Clark Russell and his wonderful Gina!
Annette C Maggio

Jan 23, 2009 11:50 am
 Posted by  Anonymous

I'm here to admit that I'm a serial hair stylist client. I go to a different person in a different salon everytime. All these years, I really have wanted to make a commitment, (it's really hard to have all these one day stands), but just could not find the right person.

I found Clark Russell through yet another web search and figured this was going to be yet another average hair cut, we'd have our fun and I'd move on to the next person next time I needed a cut.

Well, I'm here to say, that I've found him....the hairdresser man of my dreams! There was something about this cut. I actually got compliments from people I see all the time. (never got any comments from past haircuts) (I think a few snickers though) I feel prettier, sexier, hotter. : ) I can't wait until I need a trim.

Jennifer from Alamo, CA

Jan 23, 2009 12:29 pm
 Posted by  Anonymous

Amazing stylist!

Jan 23, 2009 12:37 pm
 Posted by  Anonymous

It has been such an honor to have Clark Russell make me beautiful all these years! He's very talented and I am proud to call him a friend!

Love you!