East Bay Blockbusters
"Angels and Demons" and "Up" get help from two East Bay powerhouses
Tom Hanks’ newest film, Angels and Demons, and Pixar’s latest, Up, have been duking it out at the box office this summer. Concord-born Hanks and the Emeryville studio are Diabloland’s greatest box office champs: They’re behind 10 of the 100 top-grossing films of all time. Next summer, Hanks and Pixar will reteam for Toy Story 3, where Hanks will reprise the voice of Woody the cowboy. Until then, check out this list of the highest-grossing Hollywood hits that have an East Bay link.
- Finding Nemo Pixar, $864 million.
- Star Wars, starring Concord native Mark Hamill, $775 million.
- The Da Vinci Code Hanks, $760 million.
- Forrest Gump Hanks, $677 million.
- The Incredibles Pixar, $631 million.
- Ratatouille Pixar, $621 million.
- Armageddon, starring Berkeley native Ben Affleck, $553 million.
- The empire strikes back Hamill, $538 million.
- Wall-E Pixar, $534 million.
- Monsters, Inc. Pixar, $525 million.
- Toy Story 2 Hanks/Pixar, $485 million.
- Saving Private Ryan Hanks, $481 million.
- return of the jedi Hamill, $475 million.
- Cars Pixar, $462 million.
- X-Men: The Last Stand, starring Berkeley native Rebecca Romijn, $460 million.
- The Mummy Returns, starring Hayward native Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, $433 million.
- Cast Away Hanks, $429 million.
- X2: X-men united Romijn, $407 million.
- a Bug’s Life Pixar, $363 million.
- toy story Hanks/Pixar, $362 million.
- apollo 13 Hanks, $355 million.