Designer: Alina B.
Meet the tastemaker in charge of the chic Walnut Creek boutique.
Photos by Joe Budd
For 15 years, Alina Bialobrodska has been jetting off to Milan or Paris every few months to bring the hottest European styles back to her customers in the East Bay. Now among the brands at Alina B. in Walnut Creek is Alina + Nicoletta, Bialobrodska’s new Italian-made line of sophisticated separates that can be worn day and night. Not only has Bialobrodska been busy with her new collection, she just upgraded to a new storefront in Broadway Plaza. We caught her after a recent trip to Italy to talk travel, style, and what’s inspiring her this season.
1/ Suitcase staple
• A classic gray pinstriped blazer by Richard Tyler that she pairs with AG jeans, a T-shirt, and scarf. “It helps me feel ready for the work day, but then I can wear it into the night.”
2/ Style philosophy
• Picking clothing with a flattering cut and fit. “I like styles that subtly say sexiness and femininity without speaking too loudly.”
3/ Fave spring look
• Distressed leather jackets worn over festive long dresses. “I like leather because it’s so simple but can be worn casually or dressed up.” Check out the bomber-style Alina + Nicoletta jacket ($750).
4/ A sister’s charm
• Bialobrodska almost always can be found wearing an aquamarine beaded bracelet ($350) made by her sister Irena Kudlicki, whose brand Flint is featured prominently at Alina B.
5/ Spring tip
• Splurge on color: Now’s your chance to rock pink, orange, yellow, blue, and green. Pick up a stretchy cotton Alina + Nicoletta blouse in periwinkle ($269), or try the green, blue, and black dress by Black Halo ($359), or the orange Atos Lombardini tunic ($495).
6/ First stop in Italy
• Trattoria La Montanara in Bologna, where the family-style cuisine is to die for. “They have the best pasta, the best lasagna; I just love it. You start at 10 p.m., and then it’s 1 a.m., and you’re still eating and drinking!”Alina B., Broadway Plaza, Suite B-25, Walnut Creek, (925) 952-9037, alinab.com.